MMPR First Wave Logo

MMPR First Wave Logo
MMPR First Wave Logo

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Heroes die hard; why we do it.

During the nearly year long process of planning and developing this Power Ranger fan film project, I suppose I had to ask myself a number of times "why am I doing this?" It may be that more often my friends and my wife were the ones asking. The answer could be as simple as those that have been our platform from the beginning: it's a fantastic idea that should be done and the production would supply the community with jobs.

But there may be a more complicated answer that is in many ways just as important. I am a child of the 90's. By that I mean that I was born in the mid-eighties and grew up being just a little too young for Nirvana and too old for "Angry Beavers". I was raised among a culture of children that grew to love the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. From the moment I saw my first episode, my Saturday mornings were booked. They were my heroes, which is important because Superman and Batman are everybody's heroes. They were here before and will always be around, but those five kids from Angel Grove were for our generation. I was even lucky enough to be one of the kids who excitedly opened up his presents on Christmas morning and found the original six inch MMPR action figures (the ones that had individually moving index fingers!). 
The Power Rangers lived in a world that I could only dream about. When I grew up, I found myself in a different world; where I could dream about something and then turn it into a reality. As a filmmaker I have the opportunity to reimagine my heroes and bring them back to the world. How could I pass up the opportunity to see Jason, Billy, Kimberly, Zach and Trimi on screen again?
This project is more than just a film and I suspect that I speak not only for myself but for many from my generation. This isn't just about nostalgia or rebooting a classic, it's about turning dreams into reality. As we get closer to launch, I can't wait to see who jumps on board with us to help make it happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment